Want in? Yes girl! We’re currently open to new members. If you want to hang out with a bunch of rad women who love cycling (and wear our super-cool kit) now’s your chance to join London’s freshest Women’s cycling club. If you’re already convinced, that’s smashing. Head over to British Cycling to get yourself signed up. It’s £20 a year… bargain. Want to know more? Ok, here you go:
What we’re all about
Find all the deets over here but, in brief, we’re an all-women cycling club, focused on road and track. We train, race and socialise. Our values are positivity, encouragement, progress and fun. We support each other and try to have a damn good time too.
What we get up to
– Race events: there’s a range of women’s race events on throughout the year, at Lee Valley VeloPark, Herne Hill Velodrome and beyond. We’ll be present at all of them, both racing and cheering! And we hope to get in on a few road races too, especially the London Women’s Racing League.
– Velociposse training sessions: we hold one skills session a week in East London, alternating between road training on Lee Valley VeloPark’s traffic-free road circuit and slow-speed handling skills (suitable for both fixed and road bikes). During the winter months we take part in an indoor roller session as well.
– Velociposse social rides: we set out on one road ride per week, usually on a Saturday morning, departing from East London. We take turns each week to lead the ride, which is usually 40-60km in length. We ride at a social pace (at the speed of the slowest rider) and we have a no-drop policy.
– Velodrome accreditation and training sessions: we’re all at different levels – some of us have passed our Lee Valley VeloPark or Herne Hill Velodrome accreditations, some haven’t. With us, you’ll probably be able to find a buddy to attend sessions or training with.
– Ad-hoc stuff: as well as post-training drinks and the odd fitness session, we’ll be putting on various things and stuff this summer… think trackstanding workshops, socials, a Velocipicnic, Velociparties, Velocipizza nights (see what we did there?). It’ll be fun – come!
Do I need to be a British Cycling member to join?
Yep. If you aren’t already a member, you can get a free bronze membership (use the code NEWCMRA for discount). This will cover insurance for all club activities. If you’re planning on doing more velodrome and road racing, it’s worth getting a silver membership – this offers a higher level of cover and allows you to get a full racing licence. You’ll need a full race licence for some track events (and any road event) but these can be purchased at any time of year.
This sounds great… but I don’t want to race!
No worries! There’s no pressure to, although you might be surprised to discover that it’s actually really fun and you want in. But it’s totally cool to just train and socialise with us.
Argh, I don’t have a track bike
You can hire a track bike for training and accreditation at Lee Valley VeloPark and Herne Hill Velodrome. But if you want to race, you’ll need a non-hire track bike. Fortunately, Aventon very kindly supplied us with a number of track frames which we are currently building up for our members to borrow.
I’m not a very confident cyclist
We offer an awesome environment in which to learn and progress, whether you’re already happy to hurtle around a track or nervously eyeing up clipless shoes. If you’re very new to cycling, you may want to jo
in a few beginner sessions first (check out the free TFL Cycle Skills lessons), or ensure you can comfortably ride at a decent pace for at least an hour.
I want to join… but I’m a guy!
Ha, bad luck pal! Only ladies/laydeez/women/womxn get to wear this rad kit. But we’re thrilled that you want to support women’s cycling and there are lots of other ways to be involved. You could wear our awesome Femme Brutale tee, come and cheer us on at races, offer to help with photography or even just follow us on Insta and chuck a ‘like’ or two our way. Whatever you can do to help, we’ll be really grateful.
Membership terms and conditions can be viewed here.